Help with heavy thick-textured harpsichord works
Lawrence
2007-08-09 20:01:43 UTC
I am craving more works by Bach as exemplified by the first movement
of the Keyboard Concerto No. 1 in D Minor, and the keyboard cadenza in
the 5th Brandenburg. In other words, thundering and rocking heavy
thick harpsichord, Bach's version of boogie woogie rhythm. I am not
talking about fantasias that are all over the keyboard but lack
rhythm, some sustained rhythm should be part of it. The cadenza from
the Brandenburg has parts that are fantasia-like (loose) and some that
are forward-pulsating rhthym. The first movement of the Concerto No.
1 is the best eample of what I mean: forward propulsive like a
runaway freight train, and very thickly-textured, Can anyone point me
to some other, perhaps lesser known works that have these monumental
harpsichord qualities, maybe trio sonatas or solo works, or whatever?
The keyboard suites are not it. Thank you very much.
Lawrence
2007-08-09 20:13:40 UTC
Post by Lawrence
I am craving more works by Bach as exemplified by the first movement
of the Keyboard Concerto No. 1 in D Minor, and the keyboard cadenza in
the 5th Brandenburg. In other words, thundering and rocking heavy
thick harpsichord, Bach's version of boogie woogie rhythm. I am not
talking about fantasias that are all over the keyboard but lack
rhythm, some sustained rhythm should be part of it. The cadenza from
the Brandenburg has parts that are fantasia-like (loose) and some that
are forward-pulsating rhthym. The first movement of the Concerto No.
1 is the best eample of what I mean: forward propulsive like a
runaway freight train, and very thickly-textured, Can anyone point me
to some other, perhaps lesser known works that have these monumental
harpsichord qualities, maybe trio sonatas or solo works, or whatever?
The keyboard suites are not it. Thank you very much.
By the way, I know the other keyboard concertos so don't need pointers
to those. It occurs to me now that the organ concertos may be close to
what I'm looking for. Anyone know if there are harpsichord versions of
those on CD?
Thomas Wood
2007-08-10 05:37:43 UTC
Post by Lawrence
Post by Lawrence
[...]
What Bach pieces are you calling "organ concertos"? The organ arrangements
of concerti by Vivaldi etc.? The cantata sinfonias with organ obbligato?

Tom Wood
Lawrence
2007-08-10 18:14:16 UTC
Post by Thomas Wood
What Bach pieces are you calling "organ concertos"? The organ arrangements
of concerti by Vivaldi etc.? The cantata sinfonias with organ obbligato?
Tom Wood
These:
http://www.answers.com/topic/bach-the-organ-concertos?cat=entertainment
Lawrence
2007-08-10 18:23:57 UTC
Post by Thomas Wood
What Bach pieces are you calling "organ concertos"? The organ arrangements
of concerti by Vivaldi etc.? The cantata sinfonias with organ obbligato?
Tom Wood
Also, you can listen to some on Rhapsody if you haven't already
listend to their introductory free 24 tracks:

http://www.rhapsody.com/johannsebastianbach/sinfoniaorganconcertosandsinfoniasbyjsbach

I'm of course aware that many of Bach's works exist in multiple
versions for different instruments.
Mark
I would look at the keyboard Toccatas, especially BWV 915
Lawrence
I'm doing this; thanks!
csembalo
2007-08-13 19:17:13 UTC
Post by Lawrence
I am craving more works by Bach as exemplified by the first movement
of the Keyboard Concerto No. 1 in D Minor, and the keyboard cadenza in
the 5th Brandenburg. In other words, thundering and rocking heavy
thick harpsichord, Bach's version of boogie woogie rhythm.
You might try some of Bach's concerto transcriptions for solo
harpsichord after works by Vivaldi, Marcello, Telemann, etc. (BWV 972
- 987). The writing is often thick with driving rhythms, examples
that come to mind include BWV 972, 974, 975, 980, 986, 987. As someone
else has already mentioned, the toccatas might be of interest too (BWV
910 - 916). While they include free, fantasy-like sections, nearly all
of them include fugal writing with exactly the characteristics you are
looking for. Of course, a lot depends on the performer too. Perhaps
not everyone will play these works with the intensity you are looking
for.
Lawrence