Bach French Suite No 5
YDOD
2008-10-21 02:42:31 UTC
I really like the Allemande from this suite. I have noticed that the trill
in the treble in the second bar ends with the notes B C D whereas a
recording I have of this piece ends the same trill with the notes B C E D.
No doubt after a few hundred years there are slightly different versions
around. Does anyone know of an on-line reference source that gives the
history of such differences.
Ben Crick
2008-10-21 17:03:26 UTC
Post by YDOD
I really like the Allemande from this suite. I have noticed that the trill
in the treble in the second bar ends with the notes B C D whereas a
recording I have of this piece ends the same trill with the notes B C E D.
No doubt after a few hundred years there are slightly different versions
around. Does anyone know of an on-line reference source that gives the
history of such differences.
Augener's Edition of the French Suites includes a preface on
Ornaments by Franklin Taylor. But he states
"Comparison of the many existing editions of Bach's works reveals
a very considerable amount of divergence, both as to the notation,
and especially in regard to the numerous ornaments...."

In recent years we have seen a rise in the popularity of "HIP" or
"Historically Informed Performance". No doubt Google will lead you
to a website where Baroque ornamentation styles are discussed.

I share your delight in the French Suite No 5. The ornament in the
second bar which you mention seems to be a plain shake, beginning
on the upper note, the D. This is because the note before the shake
is also a C. The same applies in bars 5 and 6. But in bar 9 the
shake is a Schneller, or an Upper Mordent, beginning on the C#,
because it is approached from the D above.

I love all the pieces in Suite 5, especially the lively Jig at the end.

Best,

Ben
--
_ __________________________________________
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services
* Is your home Prayer Conditioned?
Andrew Schulman
2008-10-23 19:32:55 UTC
Post by YDOD
I really like the Allemande from this suite. I have noticed that the trill
in the treble in the second bar ends with the notes B C D whereas a
recording I have of this piece ends the same trill with the notes B C E D.
No doubt after a few hundred years there are slightly different versions
around. Does anyone know of an on-line reference source that gives the
history of such differences.
Great suite, I arranged it for madolin and guitar a few years ago,
sounds very weel in that version too.

Andrew