St. Matthew Passion recordings
Dave Pitzer
2007-09-22 16:07:16 UTC
I'm ready to purchase a new (for me) recording of the Saint Matthew's
Passion.

Any reccommendations would be appreciated. I tend to prefer period
instruments with Bach. I also prefer (by a small margin) all male voices for
the four chorus and solo voices.

Dave Pitzer
Thomas Wood
2007-09-23 02:26:36 UTC
Post by Dave Pitzer
I'm ready to purchase a new (for me) recording of the Saint Matthew's
Passion.
Any reccommendations would be appreciated. I tend to prefer period
instruments with Bach. I also prefer (by a small margin) all male voices for
the four chorus and solo voices.
If you want all-male voices (both choral and solo) there are few choices:
Harnoncourt's 1970 recording (Teldec), Leonhardt's 1989 recording (Harmonia
Mundi), and Leusink (1992, Amsterdam Classics). There may be a couple more.
I have Harnoncourt's on LP: it seems to have held up quite well.

Tom Wood