Let's talk about Bach! How about them cantatas....
Thomas Wood
2007-03-01 06:31:25 UTC
....like BWV 91, Gelobet seist du, Jesu Christ , the cantata for Christmas
1725. I just got Koopman's volume 12 that contains that cantata, and what a
great piece -- virtuoso horn and oboe parts, that manic-festive holiday mood
only Bach can do -- what a great piece. Anyone else on this planet like this
cantata?

Tom Wood
Andrew Schulman
2007-03-02 05:22:29 UTC
Post by Thomas Wood
....like BWV 91, Gelobet seist du, Jesu Christ , the cantata for Christmas
1725. I just got Koopman's volume 12 that contains that cantata, and what a
great piece -- virtuoso horn and oboe parts, that manic-festive holiday mood
only Bach can do -- what a great piece. Anyone else on this planet like this
cantata?
Tom Wood
I'm from another planet but I like it too, especially the soprano/alto
aria. BTW, do you hear a Vivaldi influence in the first movement?

Andrew
Thomas Wood
2007-03-02 06:23:19 UTC
Post by Andrew Schulman
Post by Thomas Wood
....like BWV 91, Gelobet seist du, Jesu Christ , the cantata for Christmas
1725. I just got Koopman's volume 12 that contains that cantata, and what a
great piece -- virtuoso horn and oboe parts, that manic-festive holiday mood
only Bach can do -- what a great piece. Anyone else on this planet like this
cantata?
Tom Wood
I'm from another planet but I like it too, especially the soprano/alto
aria. BTW, do you hear a Vivaldi influence in the first movement?
Now that you mention it, there IS a similarity to the sound of some of the
concerti "con molti stromenti" with horns and oboes that Vivaldi wrote for
Dresden. Every movement in the cantata is strong -- I'm surprised it isn't
recorded more often, considering that it's a Christmas cantata.

So what planet are you from?

Tom Wood
Andrew Schulman
2007-03-02 16:38:34 UTC
Post by Thomas Wood
Now that you mention it, there IS a similarity to the sound of some of the
concerti "con molti stromenti" with horns and oboes that Vivaldi wrote for
Dresden. Every movement in the cantata is strong -- I'm surprised it isn't
recorded more often, considering that it's a Christmas cantata.
So what planet are you from?
Yes, and looking at the score, 1st movement, I thought of Vivaldi's
op. 3, #3 in G for Violin, from L'Estro Armonico.

I'm from the planet of NYC.

Andrew
ken
2007-03-11 21:23:42 UTC
I bought the early Koopman series but, after a while, found them
uninteresting.
There seems to be a "Dutch" school of baroque playing that does not
appeal to me.
I bought a few of the Suzuki which I did enjoy but am now following
the JEG series recorded live in 2000.
I am enjoying that very much and find the recording quality - despite
the concerts being recorded in many different spaces around the world
- excellent.
One of the wonderful things about Bach is that he can be performed in
many different ways - all valid.