Six Partitas for Piano (Glenn Gould)
Bill (Unique as my name)
2007-03-10 02:35:40 UTC
I've been soaking in them for the past two days. I want more of
this. I want a lot more.

Any comments on other pianists work on the partitas? I usually prefer
Schiff with Bach, but Gould nails these very nicely.
Ben Crick
2007-03-10 15:49:47 UTC
Post by Bill (Unique as my name)
Any comments on other pianists work on the partitas? I usually prefer
Schiff with Bach, but Gould nails these very nicely.
Gould hums.

Ben
--
_ __________________________________________
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services
* Prayer: don't give God instructions; just report for duty.
Peabody
2007-03-10 17:37:15 UTC
Ben Crick says...
Post by Ben Crick
Post by Bill (Unique as my name)
Any comments on other pianists work on the partitas? I
usually prefer Schiff with Bach, but Gould nails these
very nicely.
Gould hums.
Yes, but it's a well-tempered hum.

Well I still like the harpsichord version by Trevor Pinnock.
Thomas Wood
2007-03-11 07:45:37 UTC
Post by Ben Crick
Post by Bill (Unique as my name)
Any comments on other pianists work on the partitas? I usually prefer
Schiff with Bach, but Gould nails these very nicely.
Gould hums.
True, but totally irrelevent. The Partitas are probably his greatest
recordings, especially #5.

Mario Tipo's recording is completely different -- poetic and almost
Romantic -- but also very distinctive.

On harpsichord, I like Staier/Harmonia Mundi.

Tom Wood
Bill (Unique as my name)
2007-03-11 18:31:10 UTC
Post by Thomas Wood
Post by Ben Crick
Post by Bill (Unique as my name)
Any comments on other pianists work on the partitas? I usually prefer
Schiff with Bach, but Gould nails these very nicely.
Gould hums.
True, but totally irrelevent. The Partitas are probably his greatest
recordings, especially #5.
Mario Tipo's recording is completely different -- poetic and almost
Romantic -- but also very distinctive.
On harpsichord, I like Staier/Harmonia Mundi.
Tom Wood
My ear strangely draws me toward harpsicord with Bach's keyboard
offerings, but I haven't taken the full plunge yet. I listened to
some samples of Lucy Carolan's Partitas after reading her commentaries
on the work and being impressed with her writing. (I'm a layperson
with music analysis.) Her fingerplay appears disciplined yet lively,
and her instrument sounds rich. But I didn't want to dish out the
money until I heard more reviews. So I downloaded Angela Hewitt's
album. God forgive me, but I find it no more satisfying than her
presentation of The French Suites. Not that she is horrible, but
something is there in her play that is more distracting than Gould's
roars. Being weaned on Gould ruins everything. I must bow to his
masterful skill, but he shuffles me along with the air of a scholarly
pedant who decides what is important for me to hear rather than what
my novice ear wants to enjoy. I'm a rebellious student, but I run
along believing he is right even if he is saying that this is the most
profoundly great music your ears will ever hear, and I'm going to show
you why, whether you like it or not. He's a taskmaster, but I can't
get past him. Gould not only plants the music in my ears, he pokes me
in the gut with it as if to declare there is more to Bach's music than
just a pretty sound. I guess before I go for the harpsicord, I will
have to find a Gould recording. But I will check out the others
recommended. Thank you, Tom
Imethisguy
2007-03-13 13:22:12 UTC
Post by Ben Crick
Post by Bill (Unique as my name)
Any comments on other pianists work on the partitas? I usually prefer
Schiff with Bach, but Gould nails these very nicely.
Gould hums.
Ben
You can always try this:
http://www.unpronounceable.com/gould/

John M.
Ben Crick
2007-03-13 15:44:40 UTC
Post by Imethisguy
http://www.unpronounceable.com/gould/
Thanks. I prefer the Goldberg Variations to the Gouldberg variations.

Ben
--
_ __________________________________________
* Having truth decay? Brush up on your Bible.
Ioannis
2007-03-10 17:59:31 UTC
Post by Bill (Unique as my name)
I've been soaking in them for the past two days. I want more of
this. I want a lot more.
Any comments on other pianists work on the partitas? I usually prefer
Schiff with Bach, but Gould nails these very nicely.
There's too much Gouldian influence on Schiff to make a real difference, imo.
Try Anrdei Gavrilov and for a more lyrical interpretation George Demus.

My favorite is also Gould, but he can be somewhat unpredictable. For example,
he romaticises too much Partita's 6 opening (Toccata) and he goes through the
Air very loudly and fast. The Sarabande and Gigue are excellent.

On the other hand, I haven't found anybody playing Partita 5 so perfectly,
especially the Praeambulum.
--
I.N. Galidakis
http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/
jack freeman
2007-03-10 18:56:57 UTC
Post by Bill (Unique as my name)
I've been soaking in them for the past two days. I want more of
this. I want a lot more.
Any comments on other pianists work on the partitas? I usually prefer
Schiff with Bach, but Gould nails these very nicely.
If you can find them, check out Roslyn Tureck's partitas.

She finds ALL the poetry in that music.