Bach unaccompanied violin sonatas
yoel
2003-09-26 10:25:59 UTC
I am looking for information on the contemporary performance and publication
of these sonatas. Does anyone know:

1. I once read (don't remember where) that the sonatas were composed to be
performed in church before mass. Is this so, and were they actually
performed then? Were they performed more than once, and in more than one
church?

2. Were they copied or engraved in Bach's time?

3. Were the partitas also performed in church (the partitas are in
principle secular music while the sonatas are sonate di chiesa). If not,
where and when were they performed?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Yoel Epstein
Sybrand Bakker
2003-09-26 21:47:20 UTC
Post by yoel
I am looking for information on the contemporary performance and publication
1. I once read (don't remember where) that the sonatas were composed to be
performed in church before mass. Is this so, and were they actually
performed then? Were they performed more than once, and in more than one
church?
It is highly unlikely they were performed in church. Apart from organ
music and vocal music nothing is known about instrumental music in
Leipzig church services. You may be mistaken with Heinrich Ignaz Franz
von Biber
Post by yoel
2. Were they copied or engraved in Bach's time?
No
Post by yoel
3. Were the partitas also performed in church (the partitas are in
principle secular music while the sonatas are sonate di chiesa). If not,
where and when were they performed?
Thank you for any help you can provide.
Please refer to Joel Lester Bach's work for solo violin/Style,
structure, performance, ISBN 0-19-512097-3

regards

Sybrand Bakker

anti-spam maatregel
om te antwoorden verwijder '-verwijderdit' uit mijn e-mail adres